PAPER NO. 30
THE WORD OF GOD
The Logos is Truth
- In the beginning was the Word: The Logos is the Word of God in its fullness. The Word of God is eternal. The Word of God is God the Son who makes God known. The Son of God is the Creator by whom all things were made.
- The life of the Logos was the light of men: The Word of God is in all men made in the image of God. The life of the Word is the light of men. That light, by which we see and understand, is reason. The darkness of unbelief cannot withstand the light of reason.
- The Logos was in the world: The Word of God is revealed in all his works of creation and providence. The whole earth is full of his glory. Yet no one seeks and no one understands what is clear about God.
- He came unto his own: The Word of God came to the covenant people of God in history through the prophets. The prophets were not received, but their word became Scripture, the Word of God written.
- And the Word was made flesh: The Word of God became incarnate in Jesus Christ, full of grace and truth. He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. He is the risen Lord who rules to make God known.
- He will guide you into all Truth: Christ the Lord sends the Spirit to lead the Church into all Truth (John 16:13). The historically cumulative insight summed up in the Church’s Creeds and Confessions is the holy, catholic and apostolic faith, the basis of the unity of the faith for all who believe.
- Sanctify them by thy Truth: The Word of God is in each believer by the work of the Holy Spirit. Each believer is born again by the living Word of God (1 Peter 1:23). Each believer is sanctified by the Truth. The Word of God (the Logos) is Truth (John 17:17).